10 First Jobs
By Tobi Schwartz-Cassell
Probably the most popular aspect of South Jersey Girls Who Wanna Have Fun (our private women’s Facebook group) is our QOTD (Question of the Day).
Each day—Monday through Friday—we ask a QOTD and the answers can be quite entertaining. Sometimes, they bring back memories of the little things we might have forgotten, and other times, the answers can bring tears to your eyes.
On Aug 26, member Cindy Morelli asked, “What was your first job?” Check these out. Can you identify with any of them?
- MGS: Ran numbers for the mob in Brooklyn when I was about 10. Just thought it was a brown bag with papers. Never looked in it till the used car lot got raided. LOL. True story.
- SGW: My first job was making sodas, floats, shakes and sundaes at Jerry’s Ice Cream Parlor 1500 S 28th St next door to our home.
- SS: Grants at the food counter, lasted a day and quit! Hated it!
- KN: I was a carhop, and it was fun!
- LAH: Babysitting, literally, a 2-year-old and a newborn, I was 12, cloth diapers, and I took them to the pool 😳
- DL: I was 16 – Packing salt water taffy at James Salt Water in Atlantic City – lasted a week…, even though I’m Catholic…, I didn’t have the right “rhythm method” … 😳🙄🤪🤪🤪🙄😳
- MC: 17 years old, 10 days after graduating St Maria Goretti, I walked into the old Quarter master, 20th and Oregon! Although I left that office eventually, I only worked for the federal government for my entire career. Retired 37 1/2 years later at 55! Great career! Great retirement!!!
- DMC: Driving the tractor at 9 years old in the early am while others picked corn then later the same day off to the roadstand to sell fruits/vegetables.
- DKF: Cleaned houses for teachers
- JG: Seasonal gift-wrapper…at a hardware store. (Ever wrapped a sledgehammer? I have.)
So, what was YOUR first job? Did you like it, love it, or quit after the first day? Comment below to let us know! And/or let us know your favorite job description from above.
PS: If you want to join in on the fun, please request membership on the South Jersey Girls Who Wanna Have Fun page. You DO NOT have to live or have ties to South Jersey.
November 9, 2021 @ 11:20 am
Babysitting was my first job and I loved doing it. Not nearly as exciting as running numbers! One of my first “real” jobs was working at Clothes To You (I think that was the name? Anyone remember that retail chain?) in Krewstown Mall.
September 17, 2021 @ 7:58 am
My first job was delivering the Courier Post after school. I think I was 12 years old. Those newspapers were heavy! I still read the Courier Post, over 40 years later!