By Tobi Schwartz-Cassell
And we’re not alone. The average American woman has 103 items of clothing in her closet—more than enough to put together outfits for any occasion—but she considers 21% to be “unwearable,” 33% to be too tight and 24% too loose. The info comes from a recent survey of 1,000 US women commissioned by ClosetMaid, a leading provider of home storage and organization.
And that’s not all! Twelve-percent of her wardrobe is comprised of new, unworn clothing, leaving just 10% available. And 10% isn’t much of a selection.
Of those surveyed, 10% say they feel depressed when they open their closet, and 47% admit they struggle to pick out an outfit before heading to work.
One in four confess that her clothes storage space is completely disorganized, and when faced with it, over 60% opt to buy new clothing. And, shhh, one in six will sneak an item out of the dirty laundry.
So I asked a local expert for some advice. Gina Rongone-Haring is a LuLaRoe Fashion Consultant, who told me, “The first rule is to know and accept your size. It’s only a number or letter, it doesn’t define you. And, you’ll find wearing the correct size will flatter your figure.”
Gina also recommends:
- Find the colors that compliment you. Black and white solids are great staples, but don’t be afraid of a color that suits you. I myself lean towards aqua, red, or purple.
- Solids are great, including color blocks (two different solids worn together). They’re perfect for accentuating a fun pattern.
- Don’t be afraid to pattern-match. It’s fun and, when done correctly, creates a great conversation starter.
- Experiment with the many ways you can wear one piece of clothing. That cute form-fitting skirt might also be a great top or even an infinity scarf. The LuLaRoe “Cassie” skirt can do all of that, but she recommends you also test out pieces you already own.
- Experiment with the staples. Be daring and pull the waistband of a skirt up to your ribs to create an empire effect!
- Embrace the belt. Not necessarily around your waist, but higher or lower on your torso. The trick is to do what’s fun, fashionable and above all, comfortable.
- Ever tried leggings? Do it! But be sure to wear them correctly. Always cover the lady parts with a long shirt or a dress. They’re fun with boots and perfect for fall. When done correctly, they really are a wardrobe must-have.
Adds Gina, “Don’t be afraid to try something new. Sometimes how it looks on the hanger might not be how it looks on you. When in doubt try it out!”
Have you ever had the “bursting clothes closet dilemma?” How did you attack it? Please share in the comments below.
Hope to see you soon at one of our events!
PS: Want to look better in your clothes? Try A FREE 30-day fitness study at Cherry Hill Health & Racquet Club! It includes personalized fitness assessments and group training with South Jersey’s finest fitness consultants. Click here for more info. Registration ends 9/30, only 50 slots available!
PPS: For tips on the dreaded sort-out, check out this blog post from Barbara Berman, Founder and Owner of BB’s Clutter Solutions.
PPPS: Gina Rongone-Haring launches her new line on Sat, Sept 17: 4-7pm and Sun, Sept 18: 10am-1pm at Volume Café, 5600 Black Horse Pike, Washington Township, NJ 08012 (Behind the Arby’s)