Bruce, Billy or Mick?
by Tobi Schwartz-Cassell
This was my latest poll question on my new Facebook Group, South Jersey Girls Who Wanna Have Fun.
Our members’ answers were sassy, fun and fervent. Especially those who are hardcore fans of their own cherished music man.
Read on for their answers, then take a guess at who won. The answer might surprise you. But no peeking yet!
- SR: “Baby, I Was Born to Run…”
- CAD: “Springsteen, no question.”
- BR: “Springsteen, as if there was another option!!!”
- KKH: “Springsteen…Born in the USA!!!!”
- MD: “The Boss, of course.”
- WL: “Springsteen because he uses my name in one of his songs!!! 😊 (Born to Run)”
And then there are those who appeared to be cheering him on as if he were a racehorse nearing the finish line:
- PQ: “Come on. Bruuuuuuce.”
- RHR: “C’mon…Bruce!”
On second thought, PQ didn’t’ use exclamation points, so maybe she is saying, “Come on. It’s Bruce. As if there is any other? (eye roll)”
But my absolute favorite response is from EAW: “Springsteen for sure. A man who admits he’s from New Jersey and is proud of it.”
Ardent Billy Joel fans love him unconditionally, but weren’t quite as…shall we say…exuberant as the Springsteen fans:
- TGB: “My sister would kill me for not picking Bruce, but definitely Bill Joel.”
- AKN: “Joel for me.”
- PL: “Joel…or Bust!!!”
- KBK: “Joel. The answer is always Joel.”
- JP: “Give me the Piano Man!!! ❤”
- GF: “…Billy, because who needs a house out in Hackensack?! 😊”
- To which JP chimed in: “Is that all you get for your money? 🎹🎼🎷”
- BP: “Joel. Only Billy Joel from that list.”
- ESH: “Joel for sure!!”
And Jagger, still has the swagger. None of his fans needed anything more than his first or last name:
- RZS: Mick
- MG: Jagger
- FCI: Jagger
- GCR: Jagger
- MRD: “Jagger!! Love him!!!”
- ALE: “Jagger…pleased to meet you, hope you get my name…”
Have you guessed who won the poll yet?
Here are a couple of other stand-out answers (though one, a bit morbid):
- KM: “Ok…totally throwing myself into the lion’s den…I do not care for any of them…go easy on me…LOL!” JP was able to tease an answer out of her. KM: “…from that genre, I’m a Frampton fan. It’s funny, I like a lot of different music and artists, but those three (Bruce, Billy and Mick) are literally my least favorites…hahaha!”
- JTL: “None anymore… Jagger is over 70, Joel is an old father twice over, and Springsteen needs a new look… I am horrible. After a while old is simply old. We are headed there.” But DM-F saves the day: “Some of us already are, but in my opinion, age is nothing but a number…especially if you have the moves like Jagger 🎵🎤🕴”
- KD: “Definitely a toss-up between Jagger and the Boss! Jagger has a swag like no other and Bruce is well… THE BOSS!”
- SB: “Bon Jovi! LMBO!” (Laughing My Butt Off)
So, have you guessed the winner?
It’s Billy Joel. He edged out Bruce by 7 votes.
Who’s my favorite from this list? Billy Joel. And I promise, Bruce and Mick fans, I did not vote. My true fave was not on this list. It’s James Taylor. 💕 💞 💓 💗 💖
If you haven’t weighed in with your answer, please comment below, or go to South Jersey Girls Who Wanna Have Fun and join us, then tell us who makes your heart sing.
July 17, 2018 @ 1:41 pm
Doesn’t anybody out there think that the best-ever is the original “Jersey Boy”, Frankie Valli?
And, he still looks great and sounds just the same.
Love me some Frankie!!!!!
July 15, 2018 @ 1:57 pm
I am ecstatic that Billy Joel won!!!! Entire drives to Florida with my family were driven to the soundtrack of The Stranger and 52nd Street with every family member singing at the top of our lungs! Thanks for including my FB quotes!
July 15, 2018 @ 2:01 pm
Awww…you are VERY welcome. I’m kinda happy myself that Billy Joel won. He is Stan’s all-time favorite, and as a bow to him, our first dance at our wedding was to a Billy Joel (rather than James Taylor) song. Is that love or what? And no, it was not, “Just the Way You Are,” LOL! It was, “You’re My Home.” “You’re my cabin, you’re my castle, you’re my instant pleasure dome. I need you in my house, ’cause you’re my home.” That song still gets to me. Sigh…
July 14, 2018 @ 8:29 pm
July 14, 2018 @ 8:06 pm
Yes, PQ was indeed rolling her eyes. Bruuuuuce
July 14, 2018 @ 9:57 pm
PQ, you know this entire thing–the poll and the blog post–is an homage to you. I thought Bruce was going to win!
July 14, 2018 @ 6:31 pm
Saw him more times than anyone. Well except maybe my other half. 🙂