By Tobi Schwartz-Cassell
I’m not an expert, but I did publish a magazine for and about Baby Boomer Women for seven years, plus I happen to be one (a Baby Boomer Woman, not a magazine). So I guess it’s fair to say that I have an understanding of what they really want. Do you agree with the list below? Disagree? Let me know what you think:
1. Love: Not just romantic love, although of course I’d say the majority of us definitely want that. But pretty much every one of us wants to love and be loved. And that can be by a spouse, life partner, significant other, family member, BFF and/or pet. Romantic, platonic, unconditional or all three. We all want love.
2. Friendship: She can live next door or on another continent. She can be your sister. She can even be a he. It’s someone who holds your deepest darkest secrets, and you hold hers…someone who tells you every intimate detail about her bodily functions, and you tell her about yours…someone you can go on a secret mission with on a dreary February Sunday, and when it’s over, you plot what the next one will be. When you get right down to it, we want a celebration when things go well, and we need support when things go wrong, and no one can facilitate that better than a friend.
3. Purpose: If we are still working, we want meaningful work. If we are unemployed, underemployed, disabled or retired, we still need a purpose—a reason—to get out of bed in the morning, and something to think kindly about as we are drifting off to sleep. It could mean volunteering, it could mean caregiving, or it could mean just being there for a family member or friend. It can even mean performing a random act of kindness for someone you don’t even know.
4. Financial Stability: What can I say? We are grateful for it if we have it, we worry endlessly about it if we don’t. ‘nuff said.
5. Good Health: Another indisputable want and need.
6. Fun: What is life without a little fun? And fun is one of those words whose definition is determined by the seeker.
When I started doing events for Girlfriendz Magazine, I had no idea what they would mean to the women who came to them. Women would walk into one of my events alone, and walk out with a new friend. It’s why I started Franks & Beans Events, to continue the mission of getting women together to just have fun. If you’re so inclined, I’d love to see you at a future event. Click here to see what’s coming up.
If you’re a Baby Boomer Woman, please let me know if something needs to be added to my list—or if something should be taken off! I’d love to see your comments.